If you are thinking of selling your home, here are my top five things to do to prepare your home to be put on the market:
1. Clean and Organize: I know it sounds remedial, but its super important to make your home look its Sunday Best! Clean carpets, floors, de-clutter, clean baseboards, windows, ceiling fans, all the vents and returns, everything! There should be as little stuff on your kitchen counters as possible! Sometimes a new coat of paint can really do wonders to your home's interior and make it look brighter and fresh, too!
2. Get a pre-listing home inspection: Although this isn't required, it could save you not only time but also money. Knowing what to expect when a buyer takes their home inspector out to inspect your home is nerve wracking, to say the least. There is nothing worse than waiting for that right buyer and then finding out their is a major issue and the buyer wants it fixed before closing! Roof work, mold, radon, and basic mechanicals can all add up and affect your bottom line.
3. Determine which repairs to do and get them done BEFORE any showings. Even simple repairs that show up on a home inspection can make a difference in how quickly a home is sold--for instance, installing GFCI outlets in the kitchen or bathroom (where necessary) can appeal to a first time home buyer and show you have kept up with your home and modern safety recommendations.
4. Gather paperwork: Do you have the warranties and instruction manuals for all your appliances and mechanicals (air conditioner, furnace, water heater)? Having these items ahead of time and available to the potential buyers show you keep up and maintain your home--plus, its more likely you know the ages of everything, too, which can be appealing to a buyer.
5. Make the yard Pretty!: Take a strong look at your yard from a neighbor's point of view. Clean the gutters, powerwash (if needed), wash the windows, make sure the mulch is fresh and trim any landscaping, cut the grass, etc. This is the first impression a buyer will get.
Things to do before putting your home for sale!
Jan 10, 2018